HABITS IN CHURCH
Christians generally are known for doing some good things: helping the poor, feeding the hungry, caring for the sick, uplifting the downtrodden, fighting for justice and many other feats of love. But Christians also own a poor reputation for numerous bad habits. And as a believer, there are many things we take for granted while in the presence of God. As humans, we display different kinds of funny and unacceptable character / behavior in the presence of the Most High, the creator of the heavens and earth. It’s so funny that we can’t even try most of these things in the presence of our boss, teachers, leaders etc. Being in the presence of God does not only mean being in the place of worship like the church. The Word of the Lord says, where two or three are gathered together in my name, I’m there in their midst (Matthew 18:20). So it could be a place of gathering of believers in family devotion, house fellowship, office prayer meeting which is rare this day, quiet time etc. can also be classified as being in the presence of God. Anytime devoted to worship, praise, pray and to learn at His feet can simply being in the presence of God. Either as a group, congregation or as an individual.
Here are some of the bad habits we must avoid while in the presence of God:
1. Receiving / Making Phone Calls: This habit is very common these days now both in the church or anywhere we are communing with God. This is a bad attitude that we must deal with.
2. Gossiping. Many people don’t recognize the presence of God. They will begin to gossip all kinds of things in the church. Some will be talking about sports, politics, and movies and even gossiping about their husband next plan in the church. Let’s respect the presence of God and avoid unclean matters.
3. Opening The Eyes While Praying: Many of us are fond of this one. Opening the eyes why praying makes us to loose concentration in the presence of God. Make amendment.
4. Indecent dressings which cause unnecessary Distractions: This happens to women especially. Whenever they just got a new shoe, new hairstyle, head gear and new clothing style. They will parade the church to and fro as if they are the new elected ushers. Coming to God’s presence in skimpy and body revealing attires e.t.c. In the presence of God, there must be orderliness and liberty.
5. Social Media: Face-booking, twittering, instagramming, snap chatting, what-sapping e.t.c, while in the presence of God is an error. We might think its fun but it’s actually not, because in the presence of God, there is abundant fullness of Joy (Psalm 16:11).
6. Taking Selfie on the Altar: This one is very common these days. We have really been abusing the altar in one way or the other. The altar is the most holy and consecrated place in the church, we must also respect it. We can take any picture we want beside the altar but not climbing the altar. In the Old Testament, nobody dare come to the altar to do strange things, immediately that person will be consumed by fire. But Our Lord Jesus Christ has paid the price in full and we must not abuse the Grace and take it for granted.
7. Sleeping While The Service Is On-Going: Many of us are victims of this. Though we can’t cheat nature but we can still control it. Let’s try and adjust.
8. Not Dancing: Many of us don’t dance while in the church. Forgetting that many shackles have been broken when dancing, many people have received deliverance, healing, breakthrough while dancing. In the old time, they have no drums or keyboard yet they still danced and the mighty power of God moved. So what’s now stopping us from dancing to our maker?
9. Going Late To Church: We go early to our various working place, lecture room, interviews but we come late to church and we expect God to do a mighty miracle. Some peoples miracle is in the Sunday school, some in the choir ministration, some is even in the announcement. So why delay your miracle to last minute when you can have it in the early minutes.
10. Your Bible: As a believer, your Bible is very important in your life. It’s the number one tool you need after your salvation. Let your Bible be with you always when you are in His presence.
Beloved, these are 10 bad habits to avoid in the place of worship and in the presence Of God, identify your own and work on it. God bless you.