FAITHFULNESS AS A KEY TO GOD’S BLESSINGS
“A faithful person will be richly blessed, but one eager to get rich will not go unpunished”. Proverb 28:20.
Faithful according to dictionary is adhering firmly and devotedly, as to a person, a cause or an idea. It is having or full of faith, worthy of trust or belief. Another meaning is being consistent with truth or actuality. For the Christian, faithfulness occurs when we allow the Lord Jesus to reproduce Himself in us or when we put on the Lord Jesus Christ and become transformed by His life. Christian faithful is a quantity that God want to reproduces in us through the salvation that comes in Christ. It is another quality of maturity to be brought in the life of a Christian. This year, our focus is Faithfulness in Service to God. The bible is filled with example of people who exhibits faithfulness. They are Noah, Abraham, Moses, Joshua, Daniel and his three friends, Paul, Titus, and many others. As a matter of fact, the Lord Jesus is our supreme example and model of faithfulness.
Faithfulness is a rare virtue today though it is precious. The scripture refers to faithfulness as a major key to God’s blessings. There are two types of blessings in general, the common blessings such as rain, sunlight, e.t.c. One does not have to be a faithful child of God to receive these. However, the unique blessings which include both spiritual and material riches are available to only faithful children of God.There are six areas of life that people are being most unfaithful which can hinder the blessings of God. These include the following:
• Faithfulness to the word of God:Waiting on the word of God constitutes a major problem for many believers. The pains of waiting made many to seek other alternatives. When waiting is avoided by believer, faithfulness to God is eluded. If we are faithful to God, we will wait upon the Lord for sustenance Psalm 62:5 states that it is only in God that our soul can find rest because our hope comes from God. Therefore everyone who confesses his trust in Jesus should be faithful to the word of God by waiting on God for leading and support in the New Year.
• Faithfulness to the local church:The local church is every Christian’s spiritual family. Faithfulness in service prevents us from becoming migrating Christians who move from one church to another in search of miracle. God has called us to be of one Spirit (I Cor. 1:10). A faithful member will be obedient to the instructions of leaders; and the injunctions of the scripture on peaceful relationship among members. Rather than being antagonistic, they will support the ministry of the church to the best of their abilities, therefore opening the door of blessings.
• Faithfulness in family relationship:As Christian husbands and wives, the scripture lay down standards by which you can be adjudged faithful. As husbands, it is imperative for you to love your wife while the wife is enjoined to submit to her husband. It is vital to note that such a home will be able to produce godly children. Children also were told to obey their parents. A disobedient child is not faithful to God and his or her service will not be acceptable to God; neither will he receive the blessings that come from faithfulness.
• Faithfulness in your finances:God created us with multiple resources that can be turned to money. As steward of God, it is expected that we are faithful to God and ourselves in the disbursement of God given resources. It is expedient for faithful servants to plan their expenses with great care (Luke 14:28-30). Christians must constantly give attention to their finances (Prov. 27:23). This can be done by being hardworking and honest. Likewise a faithful servant will pay the tithe of his income at the appropriate time. The crux of the matter is that everything you have belongs to God and He only expects you to give a tenth to release His blessings on you. Therefore, give regularly not because God want your money but because giving is a form of worship and a test of your faithfulness to Him. To worship is to surrender your whole self and surrendering your finances is a good place to begin.
• Faithfulness to one’s Country: The Bible is explicit on the role of Christians to their community and country. It is expected that Christian’s faithfulness must include submission to the government because it is established by the will of God. (Rom. 13:1). The Bible forbids any faithful Christian to rebel against the government because it is a rebellion against God (Rom. 13:2). Every Christian must avoid behaviour that resembles the pagans or the faithless. God is in control of all situations, He can control every situation to our benefits if we remain loyal and faithful. Do not speak ill government, rather encourage and pray for them. (I Tim. 2:1-4).
• Faithfulness at the work place: As we expectantly await the coming of the Lord, the instruction of the Bible is that we must not be lazy, never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervour, serving the Lord. (Rom. 12:11). We are to serve faithfully the Lord even in our work places. We are to obey our employers and our conducts must be devoid of cheating. Rather we should work for our employers as if we are working for God (Eph.6:8).Likewise employer must treat with respect their employees because God will judge the employer that oppresses his employees.
The demand of God from the faithful stewards is enormous. He is to be faithful to God’s word, to the local church and family relationship. Likewise a faithful service entails faithfulness in finances, faithfulness to one’s country and at work places. This request is easy and possible as you depend on God for strength and provision. I want you to search your life and delete any obnoxious thing that may hinder God from giving you assistance for the journey. In this New Year, God will load you will benefits of faithful service. Therefore resolve to be faithful in your service to God.